Lifestyle: Our Family Photoshoot

Before I got engaged and started planning our wedding, I would have recoiled at the idea of doing a photoshoot. The idea of us awkwardly posing, cheesy grins with hands on hips made me feel quite uneasy and I certainly never thought I would be the type of person contemplating blowing up some prints to mount on our walls at home! I use to find it quite bizarre when I would visit someone’s home and every which way you turned, you saw a family portrait smiling back at you! But I guess that’s what becoming a wife and mother does to some people – I have turned into a soppy, sentimental soul who is so proud of what we have done, and where we are now, I am happy to hang the occasional family photo about my abode.

The thing is, the few photoshoots we have done with Katherine Ashdown have totally convinced me that there doesn’t have to be any cheesiness or forced smiles involved – especially when you have a wiggly baby who keeps you giggling. Katherine was our wedding photographer and was like a soft breeze in the background, busy documenting the day in the most natural of ways – capturing those candid moments and orchestrating some shots with beautiful artistry. As a prelude to that day, we arranged an engagement shoot with Katherine and had the best time ever, messing about on the beach in Wells-Next-The Sea, Norfolk. They are some of my favourite photos of Rob and I and love that we were able to anticipate what it would be like having Katherine there on our wedding day.

Two years later and Florence entered our lives and I felt compelled to have a family photoshoot back at the same location where our engagement shoot took place. To sit on the edge of the same beach hut and walk along the same woodland path, now with our darling daughter, seemed like the sweetest idea (if a little sickeningly sentimental!). We had the best time and I am so pleased we took the plunge, driving over two and a half hours on one of the hottest days of the year with a 7 month old, because the end results are stunning and I couldn’t be more thankful to Katherine for capturing this little moment in our lives.

It is cliched but so true – “the days are long but the years are short”. I am so scared I am going to blink one day and wonder where my little baby has gone as I trot her through the school gates. So for now I know I will always have these photographs to remind me of this moment in her life – on a sunny September day in 2016, Florence had just turned 7 months and was finding her balance sitting up. She had a gummy smile and the brightest, biggest eyes. She was a girl full of funny expressions and was easily comforted to sleep on my shoulder with a gentle sshing in her ear.
K17A9297
K17A0017
K17A0021
K17A0038
K17A0059
K17A0036

1. 13th October 2016 / 10:06 pm

What beautiful photographs, Milly! You have the most incredibly photogenic family, Florence is too lovely for words. After reading your previous post too, it's honestly such a treat to have seen your blog and yourself develop over the years!! x

• 14th October 2016 / 9:20 am

Aw Mich, thanks for your kind words and for sticking with my blog πŸ™‚ Hope you are well x

2. 13th October 2016 / 10:12 pm

What a sweet photoshoot! I'm sure this will be a lovely memory to look back on when she's all grown up! πŸ™‚ x

sachie | lovelycomplex.net

• 14th October 2016 / 9:19 am

3. 14th October 2016 / 9:17 am

I adore these photos, especially the one where she's cradling your face and where the three of you are together and she's sleeping on your shoulder. Almost brings a tear to your eye its so lovely.
    Has she got a birth mark on her little finger? I have a small scattering of them across the back of my left hand and i've never known another person with them on their hand like me!(Sorry if thats to personal and causes no offense!)
    Thank you for sharing such beautiful images with us, could def pick a few from there to keep in your home. Loving your content at the moment. xx

• 14th October 2016 / 9:19 am

Hi Kay. Thank you for your comment. Yes she has one on her little finger and one on her ankle. I think they are incredibly cute and defining. πŸ™‚ thanks for reading and commenting. X

4. 14th October 2016 / 10:15 am

Oh Milly these photos are just completely magical, actually found myself getting a bit teary! Such a beautiful idea to capture new memories together in the same place of your engagement shoot. Congrats on the blog revamp also lovely, as always will look forward to seeing whats to come! x

5. 14th October 2016 / 3:58 pm

Florence is just precious
    -Kate
    Katekoutures.blogspot.com

6. 14th October 2016 / 3:59 pm

Florence is just precious
    -Kate
    Katekoutures.blogspot.com

7. 16th October 2016 / 2:23 pm

Oh Milly, these pictures are just beautiful. Truly beautiful. πŸ™‚
    It's amazing what having a little one can do to your mind frame. The time does seem to just fly by.
    We've had a couple of photo shoots, plus are wedding pics by the same photographer and have begun a family photo line of canvas pic in our lounge to record the years and moments gone by. It's lovely sitting here and remembering the memories of the day. πŸ™‚

Treasure the time and them. x

Caroline.x