cuticle care

Cuticles are one of those menial, yet annoying banes in life. I dislike really prominent cuticles so I do endeavour to banish them as much as possible. I will be the first to confess that I am an awful nail/cuticle picker. It is a horrible, subconscious habit. After reading Lacquerised: how to: happy cuticles last year, it made me highly motivated to take more care of my cuticles and nails, and develop a regime. Using my friends above, I have seen a marked improvement on the condition and appearance of my nails, and cuticles, in particular. This post demonstrates my current cuticle/nail state, undeniably not perfect, but miles better than they were a few months ago.

โ˜… China Glaze Cuticle Oil: This is perfect for softening and conditioning dry, damaged cuticles, whilst also increasing the flexibility and strength of the natural nail. The oil smells a little fruity and is a special blend of five nourishing oils, including Jojoba, rice bran and antioxidant rich Vitamins A, C and E. This cuticle oil also pertains botanical extracts, such as Rosemary extract, which acts as a natural soothing and antiseptic agent. Cuticles are not only crucial for nail growth but they act as a barrier against bacteria, so you need to take care when poking and prodding them, which is why this oil is perfect because of it’s antiseptic and anti-inflammatory agents. The applicator is just a standard nail brush and I apply a coat to each nail and then massage it in before reaching for an orange stick…

โ˜… Orange Sticks: A pretty standard addition to any nail care ensemble. I just use the flat, tapered end and gently run it along the cuticle, removing any dead skin.

โ˜…  Sally Hansen’s Cuticle Massage Cream with Apricot Oil : I simply adore this. Firstly, it smells delicious, a real medley of fruitiness. Secondly, it works wonders as an overnight treatment for your nails and cuticles. You could use it as above, in place of the cuticle oil, but I find it most effective when slathered on at night and left to nourish and soften your cuticles, ultimately improving the condition and suppleness of them. It also has made my nails seem strengthened and blessed with a glossy sheen. I probably do this once or twice a week.

Do you have a cuticle care regime?
I would love to know which products you swear by.

1. 9th January 2011 / 6:49 pm

AH What a great post! I definitely want to start caring better for my cuticles and this post has motivated me and given me ideas of what to buy ๐Ÿ™‚ thank you!!

2. 9th January 2011 / 7:02 pm

I use the OPI Avoplex AHA remover once a week or so (whenever they need it really), teamed with Lush Lemony Flutter morning and night ๐Ÿ™‚

I used to pick my poor cuticles to death when I was stressed, but since I stopped and started taking proper care of them about a year ago, my nails have grown so much longer and stronger – everyone assumes they're acrylics now! Stick at it ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

3. 9th January 2011 / 7:03 pm

I dislike scraggly cuticles too!
    I like to use Lemony flutter by Lush and I have weekly manicures either done by myself or at a nail salon ๐Ÿ™‚

4. 9th January 2011 / 7:16 pm

The nail technician in me has to say, be careful not to bite or clip off living cuticle and only get rid of the dead. Don't push back too hard when using the orange stick.

Also try scraping/pushing through the whole nail, you will sometimes find that hidden dead skin cells & cuticle can be growing up on your nail plate, causing uneven polshing or lifting of gels/acrylics.

Sorry, I can't help it. i've been trained to know this lol x

5. 9th January 2011 / 7:17 pm

Jessica's phenomen oil is great for dry cuticle and their hand and nail emulsion is great for helping nails grow!

6. 9th January 2011 / 7:27 pm

I have never payed attention to my cuticles until now, perhaps I should check out some of them products! x

7. 9th January 2011 / 7:35 pm

My staple is CND solar oil, smells so good and works amazingly.

8. 9th January 2011 / 7:36 pm

I heard using warm olive oil works well for cuticles too. My nails have been terrible lately so I'll have to try this.

thatssofletch.blogspot.com

xo, Jay

9. 9th January 2011 / 7:51 pm

this winter has caused havoc to my talons and cuticles… and I too have some strange nervous habits involving my cuticle area – why do we do it to ourselves?! I really need a regime.. perhaps a late ny resolution!?

xx

10. 9th January 2011 / 7:56 pm

great post i have the worst cuticles some days so thanks i will try these products ๐Ÿ™‚

11. 9th January 2011 / 8:05 pm

thank you for your comments.
    @Claire – no please don't apologise, it is great to hear advice from someone in the know! thank you x

12. 9th January 2011 / 8:32 pm

Great post, you can get a rubber hoof stick if you find the orange wood stick a bit rough. I use CND cuticle erase but I do looove CND products, you can mix it with a drop of solar oil to moisturise at the same time xx

13. 9th January 2011 / 9:07 pm

I need to take care of my cuticles, but am far to lazy I think ๐Ÿ™‚ great post…

14. 9th January 2011 / 9:09 pm

Great post as always ๐Ÿ™‚ I've recently been using a product called Everything Balm by Trilogy. It does what it says on the jar. You can use it on skin, lips & cuticles! Have really seen an improvement plus it contains all natural ingredients, happy days ๐Ÿ™‚

Aysh xoxo

trulymadlybeauty.blogspot.com

15. 9th January 2011 / 9:44 pm

i really need to start taking better care of mine!! will buy treatments when i get paid ๐Ÿ™‚ xx

16. 9th January 2011 / 9:45 pm

Great post which has made me suddenly very aware of my cuticles!! I need to take better care of mine xx

17. 9th January 2011 / 9:57 pm

I always try to take care of my cuticles :). I tend to use Avon's cuticle massage cream, a cuticle pusher & ofcourse cuticle snippers. I don't oil my cuticles as much as I should *slaps wrist*, that China Glaze one sounds fabby though!
    X

18. 9th January 2011 / 10:27 pm

Oh good, glad you didn't mind.

I generally sort my cuticles out after a shower or after giving them a good soak to make the cuticles softer.

Oh and I also use CND Solar Oil, Cuticle Eraser and their Scentsations Hand & Body Lotion and NSI Nuture Oil and Vanish Cuticle Dissolve. x

19. 9th January 2011 / 10:27 pm

What a beautiful post, i need to take better care of my cuticles!! xx

20. 9th January 2011 / 10:44 pm

I used to actually cut my cuticles off – makes me shudder now! Lush Lemony Flutter is now my best friend!

21. 9th January 2011 / 11:02 pm

=( I'm not going to lie, I don't always take care of my cuticles as well as I should. However, I know that a good hand cream always helps =)

22. 9th January 2011 / 11:12 pm

i don't pay as much attention to my cuticles as i should – i mainly use my lush lemony flutter about once a week, and have them removed every time i get a manicure! xo

23. 10th January 2011 / 7:31 pm

I saw the lacquerised post last year and bought myself some of the Nfu Oh Cuticle Remover. I can't stand the thought of cutting my cuticles or even pushing them back with an orange stick, it really makes me cringe! But I love the Nfu Oh Cuticle Remover. You just paint it on, wait a few mins and all the dead skin is gone when you wash it off. You don't even feel anything, which is great, acid burning would be not so good ๐Ÿ˜› x

24. 10th January 2011 / 9:57 pm

Wow Milly your blog is amazing how did you get it so cool? any tips?

Suzin